Job title: Executive director
Employment type: Full time for a fixed term of three (3) years with an option to continue in the role.
Expected start time: January 2023 or earlier.
Salary: The starting salary for the Executive Director is expected to be about 5000€/month + benefits. Benefits may depend on, e.g., location and possibly later on performance.
Location: We have offices in central Helsinki but the position can also be remote as long as there is the ability to be in Helsinki, Finland and/or Tallinn, Estonia in person at minimum once per month. Sustainability considerations of possible associated travel will be a factor, i.e., the preference is for a location that will not require frequent air travel.
Introduction to MyData Global
MyData Global is an award-winning international nonprofit based in Helsinki, Finland. The purpose of MyData Global is to empower individuals by improving their right to self-determination regarding their personal data. The MyData Declaration outlines the paradigm shifts and the principles that are needed to make this a reality.
MyData Global has over 100 organisation members and nearly 400 individual members from over 50 countries, on six continents. We facilitate the 4000+ strong MyData Global community working on the ethical use of personal data. As part of our ecosystem development work, we organise the MyData Conferences on human-centric personal data management.
MyData is a human-centric approach to personal data that combines industry needs for data-driven innovations with strong digital human rights. When the sharing of personal data is based on trust as well as on a balanced relationship between the individual and organisations, it benefits individuals, businesses and the society at large. MyData is featured in the European Data Strategy presented by the European Commission in February 2020.
Role and responsibilities
The Executive director is expected to provide the leadership for a fixed-term “levelling-up project” for MyData Global. Successful delivery of the project will involve accountability for and progress made especially in the following domains:
- strategic focus and direction (including leading the development and execution of MyData Global’s strategy for the next strategy period beginning in 2023)
- financial sustainability of the organisation (including fundraising)
- development of organisational structure and culture (including expansion of the team)
As an outcome, this project will result in creating and amplifying the impact of MyData Global, around the world and through the MyData community.
The Executive director will be supported in this project by an experienced and dedicated team of staff, including Director of Sales and business development Teemu Ropponen especially in the domain of financial sustainability and Director of operations Sille Sepp especially in the domain of organisational structure and culture. Additional support is provided by an engaged and knowledgeable elected leadership (board of directors and steering committee) especially in the domain of strategic focus and direction.
Key requirements (qualifications and skills)
Strategic and mission-driven leader
- Ability and keenness to shoulder significant responsibilities, navigate complex situations, and make tough and informed decisions.
- Experience with developing and executing ambitious, mission-driven impact strategies that can drive both social impact and financial sustainability.
- Experience with community and membership organisations and ability to communicate (both orally and in written form) organisational mission and activities in a compelling manner that invites broad engagement among a wide range of key stakeholders
- Understanding of the nonprofit funding landscape and experience navigating it.
- Expertise in securing especially large impact investments and/or large project funding.
- Experience in building long-term and strategic funder relationships and/or successful corporate membership programs
Empowering and inclusive team player
- Understanding of MyData Global’s inclusive community approach and ability to lead in a way that exemplifies this approach.
- Ability to support the professional successes and flourishing of those they lead and give and take constructive feedback.
- Ability to translate input from board, community, and projects into clearly communicated goals and tasks for the staff and volunteers. Ability to prioritise tasks and delegate based on strategic importance, operational capacity, and staff skill sets.
- 5+ years of senior leadership experience at any type of organisation required.
- Full professional proficiency in English required. Professional Finnish is considered an advantage, all other languages a plus.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors required.
- Non-profit management experiences an advantage.
- Startup experience/mentality (action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable) an advantage.
- Prior involvement in or understanding of MyData an advantage.
Inquiries and applications
Inquiries and applications including a cover letter and a CV: Viivi Lähteenoja (she/her), chair of the board, MyData Global; firstname.lastname@example.org, @Viivi Lähteenoja on MyData Slack (www.mydata.org/slack). We will begin interviewing suitable candidates on a rolling basis. However, please send your application latest by 11 October 2022.