Job title: Researcher/Specialist
Employment type: Part or full time, fixed contract until March 2026
Expected start time: January 2023 or earlier.
Salary: 4000-6000€/month + benefits. Benefits may depend on, e.g., location and possibly later on performance.
Location: Europe-based. MyData Global’s office is in Helsinki but the position can also be remote as long as there is the ability to be in Helsinki, Finland and/or Tallinn, Estonia in person at minimum once per month. Sustainability considerations of possible associated travel will be a factor, i.e., the preference is for a location that will not require frequent air travel.
Application deadline: We will begin interviewing suitable candidates on a rolling basis. However, please send your application latest by 5 December 2022.
MyData Global as an organisation and workplace
MyData Global is an award-winning international nonprofit headquartered in Helsinki, Finland. The purpose of MyData Global is to empower individuals by improving their right to self-determination regarding their personal data. The MyData Declaration outlines the paradigm shifts and the principles that are needed to make this a reality.
MyData Global has over 100 organisation members and nearly 400 individual members from over 50 countries, on six continents. We facilitate the 4000+ strong MyData Global community working on the ethical use of personal data. As part of our ecosystem development work, we organise the MyData Conferences on human-centric personal data management.
As a workplace, MyData Global offers flexible working conditions (time, location). The staff works daily with the international network of experts and uses online tools, such as Slack, Google Docs, Clickup, Teams and others, to foster that. Where possible, we strive to “walk the talk” and deploy privacy-friendly and human-centric tools.
Role and responsibilities
You will be working closely with the Director of Operations and Senior advisor to develop compelling evidence and practical recommendations for putting the MyData principles into practice. In particular, your research will focus around personal data ecosystems, data governance and infrastructures needed for personal data sharing and management.
Your research will contribute to reaching the overall objectives for MyData Global’s work regarding data spaces – 1) guaranteeing that the the human-centric thinking is embedded in the European data spaces as far as personal data is concerned; 2) developing further the interoperability of data intermediaries in the context of data spaces; and 3) strengthening our networks and position MyData together with other influential players in the heart of the EU data policy field.
The exact focus of your work will be agreed with the Executive Director, with regular opportunities to review and refine the work to fit your skill set, respond to organisational priorities, and support your own professional development.
As a valued staff member, you will participate in the regular team meetings and contribute to the overall activities of the organisations, based on need and availability.
Key requirements (qualifications and skills)
Demonstrated expertise and research skills
- Expertise in data management or governance (knowledge about information systems management, enterprise architecture or digital business modeling will be considered as an advantage)
- Master degree in related fields, preferably ongoing or aqcuired PhD
- Can demonstrate interest in data ecosystems
- Demonstrated relevant research background and academic merits (prior research experience with EU-funded projects as an advantage)
Proactive, independent and inclusive team player
- Experience, skills and attitude to work with multidisciplinary, multicultural and virtual teams
- A commitment to collaborative working, including across organisations
- Expected working style: proactive and inclusive team player
- Goal oriented and inspired by the MyData Global mission
- Ability to flexibly manage a workload that includes both responsive short term tasks, and longer term projects
- Full professional proficiency in English required.
- Experience in working in nonprofit sector or in volatile domain/marker is an advantage.
- Clear written and verbal communication for public and policy audiences
- Prior involvement in or understanding of MyData an advantage.
Inquiries and applications
Please send your inquiries and applications including a cover letter and a CV: Sille Sepp, Director of operations, MyData Global; firstname.lastname@example.org
We will begin interviewing suitable candidates on a rolling basis. However, please send your application latest by 5 December, 2022.